Many of us love Pineapple and try to incorporate one or the other form of this tropical fruit in recipes. The tangy flavor refreshes like none other. You might have had different kinds of halwas, but South Asia’s fruity pleasure is very special. Pineapple halwa is a delicacy that waters the mouth. It has a special place in Bohra cuisine.
What is halwa?
Halwa is the thick semi-solid made on special occasions and festivals. You can prepare this easy recipe even when you are short of time. It is a very popular dessert in North India.
Are you bored of eating regular semolina, carrot, moong dal, and gram flour halwa? Then, this decadent fruity pudding is for you. We will learn Pineapple Sheera or Pineapple Kesari in this blog. While semolina forms base of this Indian recipe, pineapple contribute the robust flavor.
Pineapple halwa recipe
Pineapple (grated) 3 cups
Khoya (grated) ¼ cup
Sugar ½ cup
Milk Powder 1 tablespoon
Clarified butter 1 cup
Saffron 5-6 strands
Semolina 1 cup
Dry fruits (Cashew nuts, raisins, almonds) ¼ cup
Pineapple essence 2-3 drops
Green Cardamom ¼ Tsp
Chopped Pineapple for garnishing
Steps for how to make pineapple halwa:
1. Prepare sugar syrup to start. Take sugar in a deep-bottomed non-stick pan and add water to cover the sugar. Keep stirring.
2. Soak the saffron in little milk.
3. To the above syrup add the grated pineapple. Put off the flame after the sugar melts completely. Set it aside to cool.
4. Heat ghee or clarified butter in another pan, fry the cashews and almonds in it.
5. Roast semolina in the same ghee till it turns golden brown.
6. Add cardamom powder and fried dry fruits.
7. Mix pineapple-sugar concoction in the semolina. Stir to make sure there are no lumps.
8. Add khoya, milk powder, saffron, and essence.
9. Adjust the thickness as per your desire. Switch off the gas once the halwa leaves sides of the pan.
Take out the halwa in a serving dish. Garnish with grilled pineapple chunks.
Milk powder adds a beautiful flavor to sweets and this trick works well with this pineapple halwa recipe too. In addition to this, if you want to reduce some calories replace clarified butter with rice bran oil. Also, do not forget to experiment with garnishing.
Semolina is very light on the stomach. So, this semolina-pineapple dessert is easy to digest.
Mothers! It is a treat. The kids will love it and will demand more.
Share your tips on how to enhance the taste of pineapple halwa further in the comments.