Till now Columbia was loved for the lush greenstone and now we have more reason to love the country. Besides producing the world’s finest Emeralds Columbia has a rich culinary tradition. Did you happen to check any? While searching about Columbian food I was wondering or rather regretting having not explored earlier.
Columbian cuisine is sometimes very simple like stuffed maize cakes while unusual other times, like the combination of cheese and chocolate. The assorted combination of flavors is hearty. Why limit your cooking to the 1905 salad recipe or Egg noodles? Today I am sharing the popular pasta recipe with meat sauce, a Columbian special. Just to tone it down I replaced meat with chicken.
Pasta con Pollo Colombiano is a Columbian cream-style recipe that is a delight for every food lover. The use of spaghetti, first of all, let you think of Italian cuisine but it is a Columbian version of a noodles recipe with my personal touch of spices.
- Wheat Spaghetti- 1 packet
- Chicken stock- 1/2 cup
- Cooked and shredded meat- 4 cups
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Salsa Criolla sauce*
- Chopped onion- 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves- 2 (minced)
- Tomatoes- 4 (diced)
- Thyme- 1 tsp
- Red bell pepper- 1/2 cup (diced)
- Green bell pepper- 1/2 cup (diced)
- Ground cumin- 1/2 tsp
- Oregano- 1/4 tsp
- Salt and pepper
What is salsa Criolla?
Salsa Criolla means Creole sauce. It is a South American sauce of pickled vegetables that are cherished in Argentina.
What makes quick salsa Criolla?
Mix finely chopped scallions, red and green bell peppers, and tomatoes with oil and vinegar to soften. Further, the mix is seasoned with cumin powder and ground black pepper.
Your homemade Salsa Criolla is ready as quickly as a few winks of an eye.
It makes the best complement to barbecued meat or fish and fried eggs. You can also use it as spread in a sandwich or over toast or salad seasoning.
- Boil water in a large pot; add 1 tsp salt and spaghetti to boiling water. Cook the pasta al dente.
- Make salsa Criolla sauce by cooking together with the onions, garlic, and bell pepper in a skillet. You can prepare it in advance.
- If you have a ready salsa Criolla, heat the oil over medium heat and add the salsa Criolla sauce. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often in between till you achieve the desired consistency.
- Take out the noodles from the water and allow all the water to drain. Add it to the wok. Toss to coat noodles with the sauce. Add the shredded chicken and the chicken stock. Toss to combine all the ingredients well. Now, add the seasoning.
Finish the dish with cheese. Looks perfect!
If you weren’t a fan of International cuisines this Columbian main dish recipe will make you drool over it. Impress not only the kids but everyone around with your culinary skills. Putting together spaghetti con Pollo is quick, a very significant feature.
For me, this is probably one of the most gratifying Colombian recipes with chicken what do you think? Comment below and let me know if there is a must-try food across any cuisine that makes anyone feels ‘Can never have enough’.