Soups are comforting on a chill winter day. And, on this day, I cannot refrain from sharing the recipe for buttery Pearl Millet soup. It is a well-known recipe in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Pearl millet is rich in antioxidants and thus adds numerous health benefits.
Pearl millet, called Bajra in Hindi or Bajri in Rajasthan, is an essential part of the winter diet in India. It is very rich in vitamins and minerals, namely, potassium, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B9, calcium, proteins, iron, and fiber. Vitamin B breaks down carbohydrates and body fat. Since it is gluten-free and fiber-rich, Pearl millet is healthy for Diabetics, heart patients, and weight watchers. The phosphorous and calcium together improves your bone health.
The United Nations has declared 2023 as the ‘International Year of Millets’ on the recommendation of India to create awareness and escalate production and consumption. Bajra is one of the most grown millets in India, and Rajasthan is the top producer of Pearl millet.
This traditional millet soup utilizes the heating effect of Bajra. That is why it is ideal when you are feeling under the weather. So, here is my recipe for the millet soup with yogurt with a little tweak according to Valentine’s Day.
Ingredients Pearl millet soup
- Pearl millet flour 2 tbsp
- Buttermilk 4 cups
- Carrot (I cut it heart shape with a cutter) 1 cup
- French beans 1cup
- Pea 1 cup
- Red Cabbage (Again Valentine’s addition) 1 cup
- Black pepper powder 1 ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Clarified butter (Pure Ghee) 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
How to make Pearl millet soup with curd
- Heat 1 tbsp clarified butter in a pan. Add millet flour to it and roast. This will bring out a beautiful aroma and nutty flavor.
- To this, add the diluted curd or buttermilk. Add the veggies and salt to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Occasional stirring is necessary. Add black pepper. Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- Once it reaches the desired consistency, switch the flame off.
- To prepare tempering, heat ghee in a ladle and add mustard seeds. Switch off the stove as the mustard seeds crackle. Pour the tempering into the soup and mix.
- Woo your sweetheart with the warmth of your love with a cute red cabbage heart garnish.
- A heart with an arrow symbol made with chili oil.
Be creative and personalize with your imagination!
You can follow my super healthy pizza to complete your Valentine’s Day dinner!
Do you like to try more traditional and healthy recipes? Keep following my blog to discover authentic recipes.