India’s culinary diversities are the soul of the country. Each of the 29 states has its own treasures of unique aromas. When it comes to Bengali cuisine, fishes are an essential part of their diet. They are very fond of Hilsa variety. According to the Bengalis, Ilish or Hilsa is the king of fishes. No other platter can match the freshly prepared aroma of the Ilish Shorshe.
Shorshe Ilish is the pride dish of Bengal which people all over the world rave about. The key ingredient of delicacy is Shorshe (mustard seeds). You can cook the dish in a pressure cooker and microwave as well. I chose the microwave to be an easier option.
Being a food enthusiast, I cannot resist sharing the recipe of traditional Shorshe Ilish. So, here is it for you
- Hilsa fish 500g
- Coconut (peeled) 80g
- Doi (Yogurt) 40g
- Salt as per taste
- Brown Mustard seeds 30 g
- White Mustard seeds 30 g
- Green chilies 5 No.s
- Turmeric powder 2 Tsp
- Mustard oil 20 g
Follow these steps to make the authentic Sorse Ilish:
- Soak mustard seeds in 1 cup of lukewarm water 2 hours before cooking.
- Cut fish in 3cm thick pieces.
- After 2 hours, grind the mustard seeds with salt and 100g water.
- The grinding provides a smooth fine constituency of Shorshe bata (mustard paste). Add the peeled coconut in the grinder; grind it well until it provides a fine smooth paste.
- Pour the Shorshe bata in a microwave-safe bowl. Add yogurt, turmeric and mustard oil and mix well. The Mustard oil enhances the pungent flavor and a tantalizing aroma to the dish.
- Place the cleaned pieces of the fish in the bowl. Coat each piece well with the paste mixture.
- Place the silted green chiles over the fish pieces.
- Cover the microwave safe bowl with a lid or cling film well so that steam does not escape much. The steam cooks the dish in a few minutes in the microwave.
- Keep the bowl in the microwave. Set the microwave on high power and microwave for 5 mins.
- Take the bowl after 15 mins standing time.
P.S. Note: Cleaning Ilish is quite tricky. You must clean the fish in water once. The aroma of the Ilish comes from the flesh only, so over washing is not done.
Shorshe Ilish steamed in Microwave in ready to serve. Enjoy this mouthwatering fish dish by serving hot with white rice.